Naomi’s Song

Naomi’s Song
“And Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom, and became nurse unto it.”
Ruth 4:1

singing-bird Naomi was a woman in love, so in love with life. Hers was a well-run home, orderly and sparkling yet filled with laughter, joy. Who better to be the mistress than herself? She was Naomi, the happy homemaker who made a party happen at the wink of an eye. She was Naomi, one so full and rich with Yahweh’s blessings. With every meal she prepared, with every stitch she sewed, deep satisfaction breathed through her being. She was living her dream. But isn’t that what her name meant—pleasant?

Opening to the Book of Ruth we see a woman who no longer knows who she is. We read of a woman whose name now mocked her. We sadly reflect on a woman who insists on being called Mara—bitter. Her plight was painful—unfair. Every man she ever loved was dead. For ten pain filled years she lived in a heathen nation. Could she ever sing again? Had the Almighty turned against her?

Read on! Naomi heard glorious news. God had visited her homeland with rain, with the abundance of grain. And she turned. Taking a feisty daughter-in-law who refused to abandon her, she turned toward the home of her nativity—Bethlehem. The Almighty whispered, “Naomi, My delight, you have turned toward home. Your eyes haven’t seen, your ears haven’t heard, neither has it entered your heart the things I have prepared for you,”

And  it came to pass

The lusty cry of a long awaited child filled Boaz’s home. Celebrating women encircled a beaming grandmother and declared, “Praise be to Elohim who has not forsaken you but redeemed you and placed new life in your hands.”

Gazing wonderingly into Baby Obed’s cherubic face a new song began to bubble from Naomi’s heart. God had birthed a new plan—a greater purpose. She sang, “I hold in my arms a symbol of hope for all who cling to the Almighty. He who is mighty has done great things. He has turned my mourning into singing!”

Do you ever wonder, “Is there still hope for me? Can I sing again?” Your enemy feeds lies, “Hath God said?”. But your Father does not lie, daughter. It is the latter portion of Naomi’s life that history recalls. It was here God’s light shone the brightest and best. Let her song be yours, beloved of the Lord and lift up your head—your redemption draws near!

, , , , , ,

8 Responses to Naomi’s Song

1. Laura McElroy September 17, 2013 at 11:42 pm #

Simply amazing. Your God given words bring hope to weary souls such as mine.

• admin September 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Dear Laura,

I praise God for you comment. I just knew the Lord was speaking to women who needed refreshment. You have blessed and encouraged me today!
      Thank you!

2. Kim Aldrich September 18, 2013 at 12:30 am #

Margie,
    I love this portrait of Naomi! I am especially struck by the fact that history records the LATTER part of her life as blessed–the part she called “bitter.” How that touches my heart today!!

3. admin September 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Dear Kim,
    Your insight is powerful. You have inspired me to write some more! But at this moment I remember the scripture, “I will give you beauty for ashes.” Oh, yes, that is what the Lord will do for anyone! Just turn…that’s all!

4. Carol Weeks September 18, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Beautifully written as always, Margie. I love your style. It’s so descriptive and powerful. Love you!

• admin September 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Dear Carol,

You always speak life to me and how I appreciate your words of affirmation. I knew something was different when the Lord placed this message in my heart. I knew He was speaking directly into the hearts of those who were weary…weary of the journey! I love you!

5. Robbie September 19, 2013 at 7:08 am #

When hope replaces despair, everything changes. God alone can give us this sweet gift. He wants us to share it with a world that has forgotten. A world that has become bitter. Thank you, Margie, for reminding us that God’s best for us is yet to come.

• margie houmes September 19, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Dear Robbie,

All the comments I have received have been a source of tremendous encouragement. Thank you for your wisdom, dear Robbie. Thank you for your voice. Beautifully stated!